Broadband access matters in West Virginia
Top 3 Reasons Why Consumers Need Access to High-Speed Broadband at Home
Education – Access to High Speed Broadband Internet Service:
- Supports ongoing changes in the culture of instruction and the learning experience.
- Supports individualized, technology-enhanced instruction and learning.
- Supports distance learning by expanding learning to times and places beyond the classroom and the work day.
- Supports interactive technology giving students an opportunity to learn about the arts, culture, and other subjects not easily accessible in the classroom.
- Provides the bandwidth required for today’s students to upload interactive media content, participate in online learning opportunities, and develop electronic portfolios of work.
Aging in Place – Access to High Speed Broadband Internet Service:
- Enables the transmission of audio, video, and data across the Internet to support a new generation of services and applications.
- Supports personal fulfillment and the ambitions of older adults to engage in paid work, continuing education,
and volunteer opportunities from home.
- Supports use of video conferencing and telepresence technology to connect individuals to family, friends, healthcare professionals and services.
- Promotes social connectedness and social interaction through applications that take advantage of the dynamic nature of video communication promote a sense of “closeness.”
- Supports “smart home” applications allowing individuals to manage and control home security, appliances, lighting, and digital thermostats regardless of whether they are at home or a distant location.
Economic Development – Access to High Speed Broadband Internet Service:
- Enables citizens to participate in and benefit from the digital and global economies.
- Attracts new businesses and entrepreneurial endeavors.
- Creates new jobs and career opportunities.
- Supports the operation of home-based businesses and employment opportunities.
- Provides access to job training applications and other resources.